Thursday, May 13, 2010

Summer 2010- read up to today- entry 1

Summer is here, and I have a lot I want to read. Here is what I have read in the last two days.

bell hooks- "Back to Black: Ending Internalized Racism" (in Outlaw Culture: Resisting Representations, originally published 1994)
David Hajdu- "The Music of Starbucks" (in Heroes and Villains: Essays on Music, Movies, Comics, and Culture, 2009)
Greil Marcus- "Sly Stone: The Myth of Staggerlee" (in Mystery Train, originally published 1975)

I hope to have made a gigantic cumulative reading list by August 20 or so, perhaps to expand my sense of oppositional cultural literacy (if such a thing can exist, which is unlikely).

If interested in what I have to say about specific readings, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment